There are walleye in Manitou but there are a couple of important things to consider:
- walleye are strictly catch and release in Manitou
- walleye are not a main species in Manitou
- if walleye is what you are after and you either want that trophy walleye or none stop action please check out are 10 outpost lakes at www.rustymyers.com that are all loaded with walleye and northern pike.
The walleye is one of the most highly prized game fishes in Canada. Thousands are caught each year during their spring spawning runs. Walleyes are primarily minnow feeders, but leeches, nightcrawlers, and various small plugs are favorite baits as well.
In clear waters, walleyes usually stay in deeper areas during the day, moving into the shallows at night. In more turbid (muddy) waters, they can be caught throughout the day. The large, unusual eyes of the walleye are designed to help them easily find their prey.
The spawning migration of walleye begins soon after the ice goes out, at water temperatures of 40 - 48º (F). Spawning in Canada generally occurs between late April and May, although it may extend from the beginning of April to the middle of May. Walleye spawning ordinarily reaches a peak when water temperatures are 42 - 50º (F). The walleye is not a territorial fish at spawning time; they usually broadcast their eggs and exercise no parental care.
If you are looking for a Canadian walleye fishing trip where our legendary guides will put you on a trophy walleye, you've come to the right place! Or, if you prefer, we can show you the spots and you can head out on the lake on your own.
Green Island Supports Catch And Release
TOP 15 WALLEYE LURES:
- Cordell Wally Diver
- Lindy Fuzz-E Grub Jig
- Terminator T1 Spinnerbait
- Lindy Slick Jig
- Strike King Redeye Shad
- Rapala Shad Rap (No. 7 & No. 5)
- Lindy Watsit Jig
- TriggerX Nightcrawler
- Rapala Husky Jerk
- Storm Hot ’n Tot Mad Flash
- Reef Runner Little Ripper
- Koppers Live Target Crawfish
- Mepps Black Fury Spinnerbait (Size #3)
- Bass Pro Shops Walleye Angler XPS Jig Spin
- Northland Fishing Tackle Forage Minnow Jigging Spoon